Prestigious Cultural Foundation, Professor Cantera Burgos to Miranda de Ebro, has prepared a new conference within their normal cycles. This time the title is very telling: "Historical memory" The speaker will be a journalist, born in these lands, deputy director and chief Opinion section of The World. Your name: Pedro Garcia Cuartango.
The programs and by the call, have added a preview of the author, a kind of overview on the subject, I dare to judge interesting to this important and tragic and bloody historical event in Spain.
I will copy verbatim and in full comment above, not do for me and against my wish, as soon comment. If your reading I deserve some be great to see and read on this blog. This time I become a reader more and I shall feel that has me reading.
Pedro Garcia Cuartango, literally wrote:
"The historical memory
The recent controversy Judge Garzon on historical memory and refers to a great question that I have no answer: Is it possible to assume the past and reconcile with him without hatred or revenge?
The Civil War left such deep wounds on both sides that could not be closed more than 70 years after its end. But I think it's too late to reopen a judicial inquiry into the facts, it would always be partial and incomplete over time and furthermore, is now unnecessary.
Do not advocate the impunity of the crimes or attempt to justify disgusting behavior. What I contend is that it is impossible to judge today in court what happened in the Civil War from the perspective of a society that has nothing to do with what was the Spain of the 30's.
I think the dead can not speak and therefore is best left to historians the causes of failure of the Republic and civil war which reached heights of unimaginable cruelty.
My grandfather were about to shoot him on the platform of the station Miranda de Ebro in 1936 because a national sergeant testified falsely that he had seen saluting Communist locomotive. This personal anecdote reveals the ill will produced a conflict which often took the opportunity to wreak petty vengeance.
If the Republicans can claim that nationalists looted and murdered thousands of innocents in their advance towards Madrid, citizens may argue with equal reason Paracuellos crimes or the bags in Barcelona in the summer of 1936, which was a real orgy of terror.
What do we judge at this point? Are the crimes and abuses of one side? Do both? Who could make impartial judges? It certainly can not be Garzon, a man full of resentment and eager to prominence. I think it would be much better to get this matter of political debate and leave the historical memory for the books if you do not want to repeat past mistakes. Spain is a country deeply Cain and sectarian, so shake the guerracivilismo only lead us to sharpen large fractures that already exist in our society.
If we are honest, we must recognize that many still carry the burden of hatred and resentment generated by that tragedy. We can not be impartial and never will be. Therefore, it is best to leave the past to historians and not try to rewrite history, as some would now "
0 comments:
Post a Comment